Tuesday 11 December 2012

Fun In the Sun

It seems to have been a while since I've posted anything at all so after a few months hiatus, I've decided to dabble back into the wondrous world of blogging. To be fair, things were getting kind of hectic with exams, prize giving, and all that other crap that generally gets dragged along with the end of the year but since I'm officially on holiday now, you'll definitely be hearing much more from me.

Onto my latest geeky obsessions. After much procrastination, I've finally finished KHR or for those of you who aren't so familiar with it, Katekyo Hitman Reborn.
Warning: This post may contain slight spoilers


Sumary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katekyo_Hitman_Reborn

To be perfectly honest, the ending was a bit of a disappointment for me. After saving the world multiple times, beating up assorted nefarious villains, and experiencing all that he has, Tsuna still refuses to become the mafia boss. Hate to break it to you, but at this stage becoming the 10th (or the Neo-Primo) has pretty much been tattooed into your skull - come on, there are even people on Youtube making remixes of Gokudera calling you the Tenth.
Furthermore, I felt compared to all the suspense and building up, the ending was slightly anti-climatic. After the whole Arcobaleno curse conspiracy is revealed and Tsuna finally defeats Bermuda, they confront Checkerface/I-pin's noodle boss about the new way to keep the balance of the world and that he simply replies "Okay", I repeat "Okay". At this stage, you're sort of left wondering "Where the hell did my epic final boss battle go?!" The sad, sad truth is there is none. Yup, after all that effort, all they had to do was calmly negotiate with the not-so-evil-and-nefarious-alien-organiser who agrees just like that...
That said, overall I really enjoyed Hitman. My favourite arc was by far was the Future Arc. I guess I just felt that after Byakuran who has the ability to freaking correspond with his other selves from parallel worlds in all his wicked marshmallowness*, no one could really stand up to that.  The Shimon Arc was pretty fascinating and my second favourite arc. I thought it was really clever of Amano Akira to involve Vindice Prison in the duels for each character's 'pride' and the little glimpse of the Vongola Primo's memories that revealed the truth a little at a time. The only thing that really bugged me about that was Adelheids massive unproportional boobs. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against woman with large chests. I understand that the male readers deserve the occasional dose of eye candy/fanservice and there are plenty of busty women out there in real life. The only thing I have to say is, please, try to draw them more realistically. If her chest was that size in real life, there's no way the rest of her body could look like that without her suffering severe back pains - She would be much curvier. Adelheid is one hell of a kick ass character - it's a shame the art style wasn't really doing her justice.
 
 
 
 
The manga I started reading after I finished KHR was none other than Fairy Tail.
 
Though I haven't actually read all that much from what I can gather, it's quite entertaining. My first reaction on seeing the cover was the remarkable similarity in drawing style to One Piece. I mean, I literally searched up the manga-ka to find out if it was by the same person (it's not). What really got me interested in this particular series was the whole concept of a mage guild. I liked that Fairy Tail was constantly wrecking havoc (with good intentions) and the mage council had no clue what to really do with them. However, the moment that really got me hooked was when Natsu got attacked by that monster with Taurus's axe. Then he literally melted the axe with his body temperature and freaking ate it. Over the years of reading manga, I've seen plenty of people catch axes with their bare hands, break axes with their bare hands, or even get gruesomely mutilated by an axe. Despite this, I had never seen anyone boss enough to eat an axe before reading Fairy Tail. Natsu, you gained my eternal respect at that moment.
 
Also, the amount of kick ass female characters is really nice. Erza takes a direct hit from a canon set to destroy the whole guild, survives, and proceeds to continue fighting a few minutes later. Juvia is like the love child of Suigetsu and Karin from Naruto - she has those hilarious stalker esque tendencies but can liquefy herself in less than seconds. Mirajane the motherly Aerith figure used to be a S-rank mage and Virgo, Lucy's stellar spirit in a maid costume can drill freaking holes through the ground by herself. I rest my case.
 
Listen to:
 
 
 
Mimic by Nightmare
 
Brief Summary: My most recent favourite J-rock band. I like the PV to begin with but the guitar solo is what really takes the cake. I love how melodic it is and the almost Egyptian hint in there. It also doesn't hurt that all the members are seriously talented, they actually formed their own band (Nightmare was made when the members were in high school) and Yomi can sing beautifully.
 
Revolution by Rin & Len
 
Why I like this: The beat. The intro is really interesting in how it starts off with very little going on and gradually builds up with the rhythm coming in. The artwork has a distinct charm and the guitar part has a really nice lazy, laid back feel.  Oh, did I mention Len RAPS in this song?
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment