Saturday 28 July 2012

Battle of The Magnets

When "Magnet" was first released, the Vocaloid fan base was captivated by the somewhat scandalous song. Love it or hate it, Miku and Luka's love duet undeniably made an impact. Spawning numerous covers and rip off butterfly headphones on dubious online shopping sites, the influence is still stands strong to this day. The only question is: Which Magnet is the best Magnet?

Luka x Miku


Since this is the original song, it really works quite well. Personally, I don't ship this pairing though I can see the reason why people would because of the rival/friend dynamic that Miku and Luka have in practically every song. The lower voice of Luka matches Miku's higher voice beautifully and the only criticism I have is that this would sound a whole lot better if I wasn't drinking this really bitter orange juice.

Kaito x Gakupo

The funny thing is, I stumbled across this version before the original. I like the cute slide show of fan art in this particular PV which makes it different from the typical butterfly headphone and almost kissing image. One thing I dislike about this is that Gakupo sounds slightly more robotic but that's expected since he is a computer programme. It also helps that I'm a KaitoGakupo fangirl - I have this on my Ipod.


Rin x Len

The Rin and Len duo is always a popular pairing among the Vocaloid fandom so this cover was somewhat expected. This version is effective because of the similar voices (well, technically the same voice because they have the same voice donor) so they blend really well together. That said, the whole twincest thing is still sort of illegal... though I suppose Vocaloids don't really abide to the law considering the various murders and other nefarious deeds they commit.

Kaito x Len


While I like the artwork on this one, it kind of creeps me out. Not because Kaito is a bit older than Len or because they're both male... No, the thing that disturbs me is that Kaito sings higher than Len. That aside, I do like the interesting harmony in the chorus, it's really nice and adds a new element to a song that's been done so many times.

Meiko x Luka


As one of the less popular Vocaloids, some of Meiko's songs end up sounding quite robotic and forced - this is one of them. Though it's not really something she can change herself, it irritates me as it her cryptic way of singing in this one butchers what could have been a decent cover. Luka does a good job as always though.

Gakupo x Gumi



Yes guys, it is indeed Gakupo in the image despite his blue hair. I've always had a soft spot for Gumi because despite not being immensely popular like Miku, most of her songs are pretty good - also she can enunciate (with the exception of I-Fantasy). I like the harmonies between Gakupo's deeper voice and Gumi's higher voice and the interesting arrangement. The only thing I'm not really sold on is the Gakupo-who-looks-like-Kaito in the PV.

THE VERDICT:

To be fair, I haven't listed or listed all the possible 'Magnet' covers because it's almost impossible due to the number of pairings. Since Vocaloid songs are for the most part fanmade, that makes everything canon in an odd way so really, you can ship whoever you like. (Yes, even Ryoto the Melon with Big Al though I wouldn't recommend it.) Out of these six I've chosen, my favourite musically would have to be the Rin x Len version because their voices just blend together so naturally. Shipping wise, I still like the Kaito x Gakupo  the best because they are my favourite couple.
What do you think?

x Emiko Takada

No comments:

Post a Comment