Friday 27 July 2012

I Choose You - Pikachu!

That simple sentence sitting innocently above my post is what started it all. Before I knew it, I was eagerly mouthing the words of the theme song, owned a Level 100 Swampert on Pokemon Ruby made for the Gameboy S.P. and dismissed playing "Mums and Dads" at morning tea in exchange for a game of "Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon". If I remember correctly, my best friend was Yami Yugi and I was Mudkip Seto Kaiba...

Now, 8 years later, I am an utter weirdo. I have committed various stupid but amusing deeds, (don't even mention the time when my friends tried to convince me to pretend to be Goku at the formal...) that don't always work out. I am the sort of person who shouts "Moon Tiara Action" when I hit a volleyball, I am the sarcastic friend who is sometimes an insensitive ass, I am a Narutard who knows the hand gestures for Izanagi.. but above all, I am an Otaku*.

This blog is basically a manifestation of all my geekiness. It will range from cosplay to anime reviews, deviantart searching to fanfiction, gaming recommendations to interesting j-rock songs.

So, without further ado here's my list of recommendations:

Music

- Himitsu Keisatsu/The Secret Police by Hatsune Miku



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkjTq_nHB90

Personally, this is one of my favourite Miku songs of all time. For starters, the upbeat introduction to this song is amazing with the chaotic engine starting in the background and the lyrics are amusing with a storyline. Miku doesn't sound freakishly robotic and there isn't any of that weird autotune-esque static you sometimes get in other songs. If I had to compare it to another Vocaloid song, it's style resembles "Matryshoka" a little in the sort of catastrophic vibe it gives off.

Interesting Fact: Kagamine Len resembles Mukuro from 'Katekyo Hitman Reborn!' in the original PV.

- Reila by The GazettE



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCzhosjtmbM

Though this is one of the softer songs of The GazettE compared to others like 'Before I Decay' for instance, the quality does not drop at all. There seem to be a variety of rumours swirling around the story behind this songs. From what I've gathered the most popular rumour is that 'Reila' is supposed to be written about (the singer) Ruki's late girlfriend Leila who committed suicide. However, other stories state it was (the bassist)Reita's  girlfriend who did the deed while some fans even claim the song is about Reita and Ruki's forbidden love and they changed "Reita" to "Reila" so people wouldn't become suspicious...

Manga

- 1/2 Prince


 Summary (By MangaFox):

It is the year 2100 A.D. and humans have invented a virtual reality game called "Second Life". Feng Lan, due to a bet with her brother, vows to beat him in the game without using her feminine charm to attract others to help her. Thus, she becomes the first transgendered character in "Second Life" - in other words, she is the only person who has a gender in-game opposite from hers in real life. As her popularity rises due to her looks and bloodthirsty skills, can she keep her identity a secret from her loved ones and friends?

What I like about this:
The interesting thing about 1/2 Prince is that the main protagonist (who is a girl) is the strongest character. I don't mean in that 'I'm good at fighting but my brain cells get lost every time I pick up a sword and end up getting kidnapped' way either. No, I mean she literally beats the crap out of everyone. Half the time (no pun intended) she is the one saving the ass of her love interest(s) from the brink of death. Another good thing about 1/2 Prince is that it has a good mix of shoujo and shonen genre. With enough intense fight scenes to appeal to an action based audience yet retaining enough romance to also catch the interest of shoujo readers...  it's pretty well rounded. For those of you who focus on the plot above all else, I won't spoil things for you but I will say this: Don't let the gag scenes fool you, the plot twist is well worth the wait.

x Emiko Takada



No comments:

Post a Comment